Close your eyes for a second and try to get a glimpse and imagine our world without oceans… Without seawater… Life on earth would be impossible to exist as every living organism depends on it.
At this point, our oceans are in great danger, marine species biodiversity is falling greatly, marine food chains are experiencing abnormalities and carbon dioxide emissions from anthropogenic effects lead to the extensive deterioration of the marine environment.
Corals, the so-called ‘‘rainforests of the sea’’, are amongst the most biologically diverse and economically valuable ecosystems on EARTH, providing essential and critical ecological facilities. Today they can be described as MARINE DESSERTS.
ANTHROPOGENIC IMPACTS IN OUR OCEANS
- Humans have killed 90% of the ocean’s large fish such as, tuna, salmon and swordfish.
- Carbon dioxide levels have increased by 40% from the beginning of the industrial revolution.
- Ocean acidity has increased 26% from the preindustrial levels until today.
- Ocean acidification is 10 times faster than any other time in the last 55 million years.
- Humans are killing every year 100 million sharks.
- The world’s coral reefs could be wiped out by 20% by 2050
The only entity we can do as Cypriots is to protect our seas and START TO CARE MORE.
And as Dr. Sylvia Earle (Founder and chair of Mission Blue) defines her heroes “Anyone and every one who does whatever they can to leave the natural world better than they found it”!
- No more overfishing and pollution in our seas
- Start recycling
- Start spreading the word, the idea and INSPIRE others
- Subscribe and become a member of our community to reach our goal
- Increase marine biodiversity and marine habitats in Cyprus
- Raise public awareness and interest about the marine environment of Cyprus
- Reduce pollution and overfishing
- Protect areas with high biodiversity and nesting grounds.